Over the last few months, there have been numerous stories and press releases announcing huge changes – and challenges – in store for the logistics and trucking industries as a result of the novel coronavirus. For carriers, recruiters, and drivers alike, the different messages and, frankly, the panic of the COVID-19 pandemic, has resulted in confusion and more questions than answers.
While it’s always important to prepare for big risks in crisis situations like this, it’s also a great time to look at some of the amazing stories – and opportunities – that have come out of difficult times. A recent American Transportation Research Institute (ATRI) press release shows that, over the last month, trucks are moving across America at a faster pace than ever before.
Other key highlights from the press release include:
- An increase in average truck speeds through traditional bottlenecks has increased exponentially and is up more than 30%.
- One of the most problematic areas of highway, the Byrne Interchange (intersection of I-290 and I-90/I-94) in Chicago, has seen truck speeds increase from an average of 20 MPH to 43 MPH.
- Truck GPS data has been instrumental in highlighting where these new efficiencies are occurring.
This announcement comes at the perfect time to highlight some of the unique opportunities and benefits of the U.S. shipping and trucking industry. As much of the country shuts down and enters quarantine in an effort to contain and mitigate the impact of COVID-19, it’s never been more important for medical supplies, relief resources, and necessities to get where they need to go.
Trucks are continuing to move and, thanks largely in part to empty roadways while people are in quarantine, they can reach their destinations faster than ever before. With so many questions surrounding the supply chain, American truck drivers, and the overall logistics economy, this news from ATRI has delivered a much-needed dose of optimism into the industry.
Looking for more resources on how COIVD-19 is impacting the trucking industry? Here are a few resources that can help:
- Blog: Coronavirus and The Supply Chain: What Should Driver Recruiters Do Now?
- Webinar: How to Communicate with Drivers Amidst COVID-19 Confusion
- Blog: 9 Federal COVID-19 Emergency Actions & Regulatory Relief Efforts Affecting Trucking
Don’t forget to check back into the DriverReach blog on a regular basis for new content on how the trucking industry is handling the COVID-19 pandemic. You can subscribe to the DriverReach blog here.
Stay up to date on CDL trucking trends! Be sure to check out the DriverReach blog or follow us on LinkedIn for other relevant articles and head over to our webinars page for an up-to-date list of upcoming events and on-demand recordings.
Interested in seeing DriverReach’s modern Recruiting Management System in action? Request a demo!