Did you have a chance to attend our recent webinar, “No Drivers, No Revenue. How to Keep Your CDL Drivers Healthy and On the Road”? We received more questions than we had time to answer in the allotted time, so Jeremy Reymer, Founder & CEO of DriverReach, and Jeffrey Joo, Vice President of Sales at Espyr, and Bob Perry, Consultant to Espyr, answered them below in this Q&A-style blog post.
If you weren’t able to join the webinar live, don’t worry – you can watch it on-demand anytime!
Question: Why don’t some companies know what type of card they are on?
Answer: We have found that it’s not been a priority and has gone unnoticed mainly because the model has been that when they lose a driver, they find a new one. Another factor we have found is Carriers work in silos – safety, compliance, and recruiting departments do not always communicate. This is where we found a gap in looking deeper into why carriers often lose drivers. That’s why we started Fit To Pass and Rebuilt, which can have an impact on saving skilled drivers.
Question: How can we get more information on Rebuilt?
Program designed to “Rebuild” a driver following a failed medical recertification exam. Drivers can be disqualified for elevated blood pressure, blood sugar, sleep issues and more.
This empowers recruiters to better retain drivers and bring back skilled drivers with good driving records – the ”known” and not the “unknown” driver. Help recruiters by giving them another option: drivers that can be rebuilt following a DQ.
How Does It Work
- Immediately following a notification of a driver’s DQ, the carrier reviews driver profiles to determine which one(s) to “Rebuild”.
- CDL Coach engages drivers in initial conversation to establish baseline and begin relationships.
- Driver is shipped a Fit to Pass Workout Kit, manual, and optional CDL Meals.
- CDL Coach is available daily for brief video or telephonic check-ins to ensure the program is being followed and progress is made.
- Carrier receives weekly reports from the CDL coach. If the driver is non-compliant with requirements, the carrier can terminate the driver from the program.
- When the program is complete, the driver will be assigned a clinic for the DOT physical.
Question: How do I get drivers engaged with my company?
Answer: Great question!
- We are proficient at organizing and executing fitness competitions with compelling rewards. These competitions are designed to engage drivers and non-driver population no matter their personal fitness condition.
- We install a HealthBot, self-administering BIO-Metric Health-Check Station. These stations will be the foundation of engagement and provide driver biometrics. Units are available to drivers and non-drivers 24/7. Remember; Awareness + Accessibility = Results.
Question: Sometimes drivers are very private about their medical history and it’s hard for them to come forward and get help from their employer(s). How can a company overcome this issue?
Answer: Very true, Drivers can be resistant in sharing personal health data but, experience has taught us that over time, drivers’ trust is gained and knowing their personal information is not being shared with corporate. Contracting with a 3rd party company such as Espyr helps bridge that gap.
Question: Many franchise health clubs have locations across the country. Do many carriers provide memberships or discounts to drivers/families? What insight might you have on this?
Answer: I know many have tried, but with the driver’s schedule demands, it can be tough. That being said, we have found that providing drivers with a Fit To Pass Fitness Kits allows drivers to workout in their cabs anytime, anywhere.
Question: What is the best way to find the right drivers for my company along with effective recruiters?
Answer: Find within your current driving force. Another missed opportunity we have discovered and designed a solution for failed agility testing. We call it “Second Chance”. If you have a driver who fails agility testing, instead of wasting a potential recruit, keep them onsite for an additional 2-3 days. Our coaches can work with them and help them overcome the challenge they experienced. This can prove to be very valuable when you have a partner team and onc passes and one fails, you are facing losing two drivers.
Stay up to date on CDL trucking trends! Be sure to check out the DriverReach blog for other relevant articles and head over to our webinars page for an up-to-date list of upcoming events and on-demand recordings.
Interested in seeing DriverReach’s modern Recruiting and Compliance Management System in action? Request a demo!